HIV Research Trust Scholarships 2021
You have accessed the HIV Research Trust’s online scholarship application programme for the 2021 awards, which is available to physicians, nurses, scientists, and other health care professionals in early/mid-career who are located in resource-limited settings from low-income and lower-middle-income countries working in the field of HIV infection.
In early 2020, the Trustees of the HIV Research Trust took the decision to postpone the 2021 Scholarships in response to the COIVD-19 pandemic. The Trustees have now decided to go ahead with the 2021 scholarships.
Scholarships may be applied for with start dates no earlier than 1st April 2021 and no later than 31st March 2022.
In light of the ongoing travel restrictions, and the uncertainty of when these may be lifted or reinstated, the Trustees are particularly interested in receiving applications for on-line or remote courses. Scholarships that involve travel within the scholar’s home country will also be prioritised.
Whilst the Trust will consider funding international travel, applicants should be aware of the inherent problems associated with such travel during the ongoing COVID-19 global crisis. Applicants wishing to apply for funding for international travel should consider the following:
- Budgets for travel, accommodation, and insurance should reflect the high costs currently seen around the world. Applications with disproportionately high travel costs will need to demonstrate exceptional value-for-money for the course or tenure applied for.
- Flights may be cancelled and/or international travel restrictions introduced/re-introduced at short notice. In such instances, additional funding to cover extra costs incurred will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but is in no way guaranteed. The Trust reserves the right to withdraw any scholarship deemed unsafe or impractical for these reasons.
- Adequate travel and health insurance must be budgeted for in the application and must be in place before scholars travel.
- Successful applicants accept responsibility for their ability to return to their home country under travel restrictions, and agree to fulfil any quarantine requirements in their home or host countries at their own expense.
- Applicants should at all times consider their personal safety the highest priority throughout the planning and application stages of their proposed scholarship.
Online applications are invited until Midday on Monday 1st March, 2021.